We’ve selected a few of the latest new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases from CAB Abstracts. Records this fortnight include observations on the mutualism between armoured scale insects and ants, information about the Colletotrichum orbiculare species complex and the biosecurity implications of new technology and discovery in plant virus research.
Click on the links to view the abstracts:
- New records of occurrence of five species of Neosilba (Diptera:Lonchaeidae) in the State of Bahia, Brazil.
Bittencourt, M. A. L.; Menezes, A. M. S. de; Bomfim, J. P. de A.; Santos, O. O. dos; Castellani, M. A.; Strikis, P. C. (2013) Ciência Rural 43 (10) 1744-1746.
- Dasiops luzestelae: a new species of the genus Dasiops Rondani (Diptera: Lonchaeidae) associated with passion fruit crops in Colombia.
Castro, Á.; Korytkowski, C.; Ebratt, E.; Brochero, H. L. (2013) Agronomía Colombiana 31 (2) 253-256.
- Mutualism between armoured scale insects and ants: new species and observations on a unique trophobiosis (Hemiptera: Diaspididae; Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Melissotarsus Emery).
Schneider, S. A.; Giliomee, J. H.; Dooley, J. W.; Normark, B. B. (2013) Systematic Entomology 38 (4) 805-817.
- Nematode species of Cajanus cajan with a description of new speciesof Helicotylenchus (Hoplolaimidae: Nematoda).
Tarnita, T. H.; Gambhir, R. K. (2012) Uttar Pradesh Journal of Zoology 32 (3) 345-351.
- Biosecurity implications of new technology and discovery in plant virus research.
MacDiarmid, R.; Rodoni, B.; Melcher, U.; Ochoa-Corona, F.; Roossinck, M. (2013) PLoS Pathogens 9 (8) pp e1003337.
- The Colletotrichum orbiculare species complex: important pathogens of field crops and weeds.
Damm, U.; Cannon, P. F.; Liu Fang; Barreto, R. W.; Guatimosim, E.; Crous, P. W. (2013) Fungal Diversity 61 (1) 29-59.
- Aphelinid and encyrtid (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea) parasitoids of armored scales (Hemiptera: Diaspididae) attacking hemlocks (Tsuga spp.) in Japan and the United States, with description of eight new species.
Japoshvili, G.; Abell, K. J.; Normark, B. B.; Driesche, R. G. van (2013) Annals of the Entomological Society of America 106 (5) 541-554.
- Two new neotropical species of midge (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) predators of scale insects (Hemiptera: Coccoidea).
Culik, M. P.; Ventura, J. A. (2013) Journal of the Entomological Research Society 15 (2) 103-111.
- Four new host records of sooty mould from Pauri Garhwal.
Renu Negi (2013) Annals of Plant Protection Sciences 21 (2) 455-457.
- Identification of walnut twig blight in Liaoning province.
Sun Jun (2013) Journal of Fruit Science 30 (4) 669-671.
To view all search results for new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases, click here
If there’s another new record you’d like to highlight, please post a comment.
Related News & Blogs
Papaya mealybug, Paraccous margniatus, is native to Central America but has spread rapidly in invaded countries. It was detected in Uganda in 2021 where it has the potential to affect the production and quality of papaya and other host crops. Papaya fr…
14 September 2022