We’ve selected a few of the latest new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases from CAB Abstracts. Records this fortnight include citrus tristeza virus found in Afghanistan for the first time, the first record of peas infected with tomato spotted wilt virus, and a new species of the pathogenic fungal genus Alternaria.
Click on the links to view the abstracts:
- First report of Fusarium moniliforme causing fruit rot of tinda (Praecitrullus fistulosus) in India.
Sankar, N. R.; Devamma, M. N.; Kumar, V. K.; Giridhar, D. (2011) New Disease Reports 24: Article 24.
- A new species of Alternaria: Alternaria hippophii R. Q. Shen et H. S. Shang, sp. nov.
Shen RuiQing; Shang HongSheng; Zha XianFang (2012) Journal of Northwest A & F University – Natural Science Edition 40 (1): 79-80.
- First report of ‘Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus’ associated with huanglongbing in the weeds Cleome rutidosperma, Pisonia aculeata and Trichostigma octandrum in Jamaica.
Brown, S. E.; Oberheim, A. P.; Barrett, A.; McLaughlin, W. A. (2011) New Disease Reports 24: Article 25.
- An overview on bacterial diseases of the most important agricultural crops in Nepal.
Lamichhane, J. R.; Balestra, G. M.; Mazzaglia, A.; Kshetri, M. B.; Varvaro, L.; Hale, C. (2011) Acta Horticulturae 917: 203-210.
- First report of a phytoplasma associated with a witches’ broom disease in tomato in Alhasa, Saudi Arabia.
Alhudaib, K.; Rezk, A. (2011) New Disease Reports 24: Article 20.
- First report of Citrus tristeza virus in national germplasm of citrus in Afghanistan.
Rehman, S.; Ahmad, J.; Lanzoni, C.; Autonell, C. R.; Ratti, C. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (2): 296.
- First report of Fusarium oxysporum causing potato dry rot in Solanum tuberosum in Colombia.
Garcia Bayona, L.; Grajales, A.; Cardenas, M. E.; Sierra, R.; Cepero de Garcia, M. C.; Bernal, A.; Jimenez, P.; Restrepo, S. (2011) New Disease Reports 24: Article 14.
- First report of natural infection of pea (Pisum sativum) by Tomato spotted wilt virus in Hungary.
Salamon, P.; Nemes, K.; Salánki, K.; Palkovics, L. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (2): 295.
- First report of root rot caused by Ilyonectria (=Neonectria) macrodidyma on avocado (Persea americana) in Italy.
Vitale, A.; Aiello, D.; Guarnaccia, V.; Perrone, G.; Stea, G.; Polizzi, G. (2012) Journal of Phytopathology 160 (3): 156-159.
- First report of natural infection of watermelon by Watermelon silver mottle virus in China.
Rao, X.; Liu, Y.; Wu, Z.; Li, Y. (2011) New Disease Reports 24: Article 12.
To view all search results for new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases, click here (>30,000 results)
If there’s another new record you’d like to highlight, please post a comment.
Related News & Blogs
As many of our readers may be aware, the United Nations have declared 2020 as the International Year of Plant Health. CABI is pleased to announce that to promote a global conversation about plant health and the future of sustainable agriculture, we are…
7 November 2019