We’ve selected a few of the latest new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases from CAB Abstracts. Records this fortnight include a new, unnamed virus infecting tomatoes and Euphorbia species in Venezuela; first reports of watermelon viruses in Palestine and Serbia; and a phytoplasma that infects prickly pear being found in its weed, bug and mollusc pests.
Click on the links to view the abstracts:
- Insects associated to a quinoa crop in Amaicha del Valle, Tucumán, Argentina.
Valoy, M. E.; Bruno, M. A.; Prado, F. E.; González, J. A. (2011) Acta Zoologica Lilloana 55 (1): 16-22.
- First report of the cyst nematode (Heterodera elachista) on rice in Hunan Province, China.
Ding, Z.; Namphueng, J.; He, X. F.; Peng, D. L.; Huang, W. K. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 151.
- Molecular characterization of a new begomovirus that infects Euphorbia heterophylla and Solanum lycopersicum in Venezuela.
Zambrano, K.; Fernández-Rodríguez, T.; Marys, E. (2012) Archives of Virology 157 (2): 379-382.
- First report of Watermelon chlorotic stunt virus in watermelon in the Palestinian Authority.
Ali-Shtayeh, M. S.; Jamous, R. M.; Hussein, E. Y.; Mallah, O. B.; Abu-Zaitoun, S. Y. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 149.
- New hosts of 16SrI phytoplasma group associated with edible Opuntia ficus-indica crop and its pests in Mexico.
Zak, L. F.; Yáñez-Morales, M. de J.; Alanis-Martínez, I.; González-Pérez, E. (2011) African Journal of Microbiology Research 5 (8): 910-918.
- First report of black spot caused by Boeremia exigua var. exigua on field pea in Australia.
Li, Y. P.; You, M. P.; Finnegan, P. M.; Khan, T. N.; Lanoiselet, V.; Eyres, N.; Barbetti, M. J. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 148-149.
- One new record of the genus Aulacorthum (Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha: Aphididae) from Korea.
Lee WonHoon; Kim HyoJoong; Lee SeungHwan (2012) Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology 15 (1): 69-72.
- First report of Zucchini yellow mosaic virus in watermelon in Serbia.
Vučurovic´, A.; Bulajic´, A.; Stankovic´, I.; Ristic´, D.; Nikolic´, D.; Berenji, J.; Krstic´, B. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 149.
- Isolation and identification of fungi associated with gall formation on Acacia reficiens in the Numas river area of Namibia.
Nashidengo, E. N.; Uzabakiriho, J. D.; Chimwamurombe, P. M. (2011) Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 5 (2): 617-621.
- First report of Pseudomonas cichorii associated with leaf spot on soybean in South Korea.
Yu, S. M.; Lee, Y. H. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 142.
To view all search results for new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases, click here (>30,000 results)
If there’s another new record you’d like to highlight, please post a comment.
Related News & Blogs
This article was originally published on the CABI BioProtection Portal blog. Visit the original blog post here. Anthracnose is a catch-all, general term. It describes the damage caused to plants by a group of fungal diseases. Anthra…
13 June 2022