We’ve selected a few of the latest new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases from CAB Abstracts. Records this fortnight include a new, unnamed virus infecting tomatoes and Euphorbia species in Venezuela; first reports of watermelon viruses in Palestine and Serbia; and a phytoplasma that infects prickly pear being found in its weed, bug and mollusc pests.
Click on the links to view the abstracts:
- Insects associated to a quinoa crop in Amaicha del Valle, Tucumán, Argentina.
Valoy, M. E.; Bruno, M. A.; Prado, F. E.; González, J. A. (2011) Acta Zoologica Lilloana 55 (1): 16-22.
- First report of the cyst nematode (Heterodera elachista) on rice in Hunan Province, China.
Ding, Z.; Namphueng, J.; He, X. F.; Peng, D. L.; Huang, W. K. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 151.
- Molecular characterization of a new begomovirus that infects Euphorbia heterophylla and Solanum lycopersicum in Venezuela.
Zambrano, K.; Fernández-Rodríguez, T.; Marys, E. (2012) Archives of Virology 157 (2): 379-382.
- First report of Watermelon chlorotic stunt virus in watermelon in the Palestinian Authority.
Ali-Shtayeh, M. S.; Jamous, R. M.; Hussein, E. Y.; Mallah, O. B.; Abu-Zaitoun, S. Y. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 149.
- New hosts of 16SrI phytoplasma group associated with edible Opuntia ficus-indica crop and its pests in Mexico.
Zak, L. F.; Yáñez-Morales, M. de J.; Alanis-Martínez, I.; González-Pérez, E. (2011) African Journal of Microbiology Research 5 (8): 910-918.
- First report of black spot caused by Boeremia exigua var. exigua on field pea in Australia.
Li, Y. P.; You, M. P.; Finnegan, P. M.; Khan, T. N.; Lanoiselet, V.; Eyres, N.; Barbetti, M. J. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 148-149.
- One new record of the genus Aulacorthum (Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha: Aphididae) from Korea.
Lee WonHoon; Kim HyoJoong; Lee SeungHwan (2012) Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology 15 (1): 69-72.
- First report of Zucchini yellow mosaic virus in watermelon in Serbia.
Vučurovic´, A.; Bulajic´, A.; Stankovic´, I.; Ristic´, D.; Nikolic´, D.; Berenji, J.; Krstic´, B. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 149.
- Isolation and identification of fungi associated with gall formation on Acacia reficiens in the Numas river area of Namibia.
Nashidengo, E. N.; Uzabakiriho, J. D.; Chimwamurombe, P. M. (2011) Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 5 (2): 617-621.
- First report of Pseudomonas cichorii associated with leaf spot on soybean in South Korea.
Yu, S. M.; Lee, Y. H. (2012) Plant Disease 96 (1): 142.
To view all search results for new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases, click here (>30,000 results)
If there’s another new record you’d like to highlight, please post a comment.
Related News & Blogs
Papaya mealybug, Paraccous margniatus, is native to Central America but has spread rapidly in invaded countries. It was detected in Uganda in 2021 where it has the potential to affect the production and quality of papaya and other host crops. Papaya fr…
14 September 2022