We’ve selected a few of the latest new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases from CAB Abstracts. Records this fortnight include a new phytoplasma infecting soybean in Costa Rica, a parasitic nematode causing damage to several plant species in Brazil, and the Mediterranean fruit fly spreading and widening its host preference in Montenegro.
Click on the links to view the abstracts:
- The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata Wiedem. – spreading on new locations in Montenegro and detection on new host plant.
Radonjic´, S.; Hrnčic´, S. (2011) Biljni Lekar (Plant Doctor) 39 (5): 511-517.
- First report of soil-borne wheat mosaic virus on wheat in Hokkaido.
Horita, H.; Sasaki, J. (2011) Annual Report of the Society of Plant Protection of North Japan 62: 43-46.
- First report of Tecia solanivora (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) attacking the potato Solanum tuberosum in Mexico.
Cruz Roblero, E. N.; Castillo Vera, A.; Malo, E. A. (2011) Florida Entomologist 94 (4): 1055-1056.
- Phytophthora blight of southern star (Oxypetalum caeruleum) caused by Phytophthora palmivora in Japan.
Gappa-Adachi, R.; Yano, K.; Takeuchi, S.; Morita, Y.; Uematsu, S. (2012) Journal of General Plant Pathology 78 (1): 39-42.
- New registers of phytophagous insects associated with canelo in La Araucania.
Brebi M., P.; Aguilera, A.; Ojeda, N.; Rebolledo, R. (2011) IDESIA 29 (2): 99-104.
- First report of the coffee bean weevil Araecerus fasciculatus (De Geer) (Coleoptera: Anthribidae) as pest of papaya in the Philippines.
Caasi-Lit, M. T.; Lit, I. L., Jr. (2011) Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94 (4): 415-420.
- Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) on Leucaena leucocephala (Fabaceae): a new host record from India and a comparative study with a population from cotton.
Thomas, A.; Rahul Chaubey; Naveen, N. C.; Anand Kar; Ramamurthy, V. V. (2011) International Journal of Tropical Insect Science 31 (4): 235-241.
- Occurrence of Meloidogyne enterolobii in the municipality of Uberlândia, State of Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Almeida, E. J.; Santos, J. M. (2011) Bioscience Journal 27 (6): 877-878.
- Management of alien invasive insect pest species and diseases of fruits and vegetables: experiences from East Africa.
Nyambo, B.; Sevgan, S.; Chabi-Olaye, A.; Ekesi, S.; Wesonga, J.; Kahane, R. (2011) Acta Horticulturae 911: 215-222.
- ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma costaricanum’ a novel phytoplasma associated with an emerging disease in soybean (Glycine max).
Lee, I. M.; Bottner-Parker, K. D.; Zhao, Y.; Villalobos, W.; Moreira, L. (2011) International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 61 (12): 2822-2826.
To view all search results for new geographic, host and species records for plant pests and diseases, click here (>30,000 results)
If there’s another new record you’d like to highlight, please post a comment.
Related News & Blogs
This article was originally published on the CABI BioProtection Portal blog. Visit the original blog post here. Anthracnose is a catch-all, general term. It describes the damage caused to plants by a group of fungal diseases. Anthra…
13 June 2022